Disclaimer

Nothing expressed here reflects the opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I say this in part to protect them from getting blamed for anything I might say, but also to keep them from stealing my jokes.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Things She Carried

I leave in about a week and the scales and calculators of my brain have been working hard -- weighing the benefits of bringing quinoa against the lifeblood necessity of packing Nutella, chasing down the shapeshifting mirage known as "business casual" (which I've decided is actually a mass cultural delusion that doesn't exist), and having little logical glitches where I say things like, "Okay, tell me honestly what I should do here, because if I don't bring a towel I think I can fit like, six more books." And, at least a few times a day, I've been feeling the heft of the next two years -- trying to glimpse them through the haze, and marveling at all the possibility they contain.

If there's one really, truly, supremely maddening paradox about this whole moving-to-another-continent business, it is this: in order to live with fewer possessions, one must first acquire more possessions. And if there's one parallel skill that helps when squeezing your life into 2/3 of your bodyweight, it's being good at Tetris.



Good news! I'm pretty okay at Tetris.

No comments:

Post a Comment