Disclaimer

Nothing expressed here reflects the opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I say this in part to protect them from getting blamed for anything I might say, but also to keep them from stealing my jokes.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes


Chalo is getting downright strapping. And you don’t have to take my word for it.

Two rave reviews from Mrs. Mbowe, who is one of my favorite teachers at my school for reasons that will be self-explanatory:
-                    “He is becoming as handsome as my late husband.”
-                    “I love his blackness. It inspires me.”

See? So handsome.

Annie is getting more beautiful.

Elsa is getting braver. So are the bats.

I'm getting tanner.

Everyone is learning to sit in one place for more than a few seconds.
(Or, in Chalo's case, for thirteen hours. He traveled to the lake
with me over Christmas and endured the hot sun, the confines
of my lap, a nightmarish bike taxi that literally almost killed him, and
drunk strangers kissing him on the mouth. What a champ.)
First step of my first bucket of homemade wine. That's mashed-up mango, yeast, and sugar.
And the second step, several weeks later. It tasted better than it looks.

2 comments:

  1. Jaime, YOU inspire me! Greetings to you - and Marvin, especially, says hello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your posts - you are a great storyteller, and I feel like I'm there as you interact with people, it's fun! I came by your tumblr first in a really roundabout way (through..Sorakeem). Anyway, I stumbled here and will definitely be around to read about your adventures and peace corps work. I did Americorps a while back, and also enjoy service work. Gooo get 'em, girl!

    ReplyDelete