Disclaimer

Nothing expressed here reflects the opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I say this in part to protect them from getting blamed for anything I might say, but also to keep them from stealing my jokes.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Southern African Living Magazine


I have shelves now, and I don’t live out of a suitcase anymore! …six months after moving in.

If Southern African Living were a real publication, it would probably have recipes for ant-and-avocado salads and articles about decorating your pit latrine (1st step: remove spiders, 2nd step: add potpourri). And my house might be in it. So wallow in visions of my domestic bliss and feast your eyes on all this TALULAR chic.* Mostly this is an excuse to show you pictures of my dog.

*TALULAR = Teaching and Learning Using Locally Available Resources. It’s not just a catchy acronym or a means of making do in an African classroom; it’s a way of life.




Sometimes there are idyllic sun-soaked afternoons.


And sometimes there are Old Testament-style disasters. These are flying ants (harmless, delicious, but annoying and messy for the way they crawl under doors, fling themselves at lights, and then proceed to die all over your floor).





No comments:

Post a Comment