Disclaimer

Nothing expressed here reflects the opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I say this in part to protect them from getting blamed for anything I might say, but also to keep them from stealing my jokes.

Monday, April 29, 2013

note to self: you're living the dream. don't forget it.

I just wrote a rather lengthy diatribe about my recent frustrations, including, but not limited to: encountering fundraising roadblocks that feel downright insurmountable, rallying (with little success) against misplaced priorities that are hurting our students, witnessing Ministry of Education officials laughing about endemic sexual violence in schools, witnessing my own headmaster announce that boys deserve education more than girls do, witnessing countless people declare that women wearing trousers turn good men into rapists, fending off my own share of increasingly weird unwanted advances, and seeing an uglier side of myself come out -- one who suspects the worst in people, who gets stingy with smiles in order to protect herself, and who loses her emotional balance and proclaims someone else's beliefs "patently ridiculous."

But then I made a misclick and everything I wrote disappeared. I'm going to take that as a sign.

Here's what's really good right now.

I'm learning cool things in beautiful places.

I'm having adventures.
I live somewhere where THIS is just a short ride away from...
...this.
...and this.

And most of all, I have this wildly wonderful job where I get to spend my days talking about books and words with sweet, hilarious people who desperately WANT me to be there. 
And I get to bring my dog to work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment