Disclaimer

Nothing expressed here reflects the opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I say this in part to protect them from getting blamed for anything I might say, but also to keep them from stealing my jokes.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

August

…has been a ridiculous whirlwind. Let me count the ways.
  •        - stupidly jumping off a truck and landing in a stupid way that has stupidly rendered me unable to walk for the past two weeks
  •      -    having my first ever x-ray at my first ever Malawian hospital, and discovering it to be one of the most surreal experiences of my life
  •          reuniting with the other 16 remaining members of my original Peace Corps family at our glorious mid-service training
  •         catching and playing with wild hedgehogs – a phrase I never imagined I would utter in Malawi
  •           meeting the nearly 140 other volunteers in-country (many of them for the first time ever) at an all-volunteer conference in Lilongwe, and finding it both invigorating and overwhelming
  •         witnessing the swear-in of the 20 new education volunteers, administered by the Director of Peace Corps
  •         chatting with the U.S. Ambassador to Malawi over a Fanta…while limping ridiculously
  •        accidentally brushing off the U.S. Ambassador to Malawi when she apparently said to me, “I hope your heel heals soon!”, and I limped away (ridiculously) and ignored her. Good-bye, career in Foreign Service.
  •         celebrating the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps Malawi by attending a gala at Kamuzu Palace, the home of President Joyce Banda…while limping ridiculously
  •         giving a speech in Chitumbuka in front of the President, the Ambassador, the Director of Peace Corps, and Vanessa Kerry…while limping ridiculously
  •         participating in a dance circle with the President…while limping ridiculously


Here’s to the next ridiculous 12 months.




No comments:

Post a Comment